Why Is My Air Conditioner Making Noises?
Your air conditioner is vital for keeping your home cool. So, when it starts making strange noises, you’ll want an AC technician to diagnose and solve the problem quickly. After confirming the noise is coming from your AC, the next step is to determine what kind of noise it is.
Keep reading to learn the common sounds of AC trouble and how to fix it!
Is your AC making a strange noise, and you think it might need to be repaired? Contact us to schedule an appointment.
What Type of Noise Is It?
Different AC sounds can indicate different problems. In addition to identifying the specific sound, it’s important to note when the sound is being made. Is your air conditioner making strange noises when it first turns on or the entire time it’s running?
This information is crucial to fixing the issue. Contact us today if you notice strange AC noises, including:
- Banging or clanking: If you hear a banging noise, it’s likely due to a loose part in the compressor.
- Clicking: A clicking noise while your unit is running likely indicates your AC has an electrical problem.
- Buzzing: The most common culprit of buzzing sounds is a refrigerant leak or dirty air filter.
- Squealing: When your AC fan needs repair, it will often release a squealing sound.
- Chattering or screaming: These sounds are startling and for good reason. If you hear these noises, call an HVAC tech immediately. Your HVAC needs to be inspected and repaired right away.
Need help with your noisy AC? Contact us to schedule AC service in Alexandria, Fairfax, and nearby areas in Northern VA.
Troubleshooting Your Air Conditioner
While it may be tempting to try to repair your AC yourself, it isn’t recommended. Without the proper knowledge and skills, you can ultimately spend more money and time than it would take a professional to repair your system.
However, there are some simple things you can do to help prevent AC problems, such as:
- Keep the area around your AC clear of debris
- Schedule preventative AC maintenance at the start of spring each year
- Change your air filters every 60 to 90 days
- Listen for any unusual noises and, if you hear any, don’t wait to call a professional
Call HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited
As the leading HVAC company in Northern Virginia, we’re confident we can resolve your AC problems with ease. Over the past few decades, HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited has built a reputation for top-notch service.
Home and business owners in the Northern Virginia area choose us for our:
- Upfront, transparent pricing
- Highly trained, friendly technicians
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- And more!
Contact us online to schedule AC repair or maintenance in Alexandria or nearby.
What Our Customers are Saying
I had my inspection done by Steven Worthy yesterday and I definitely wanted to make sure you thank him for putting...M. Scozia
Steve just finished the service and did an OUTSTANDING job! Keep up the great work and thank you.K. Lippold
Thank you! Great service. Your employee is first rate. Josue is a nice young man.B. Henry
Great Job changing sump pump by Chase Scott. He also gave me advice and knowledge for keeping and maintaining prop...Azin Razavieh
Chase was super helpful in replacing my garbage disposal and fixing my toilet. He was super friendly and completed...Erik M.
Chase Scott provided great service. Very friendly. He found the problem quickly. He showed me what the issue was a...Jodie B.
& Plumbing Unlimited
Dedicated to friendly & reliable service
We’re dedicated to your comfort
No-nonsense pricing for all services
Factory-trained and certified technicians
100% satisfaction guarantee