Ductless Mini-Split Maintenance Tips No One Tells You
To some, ductless cooling systems may seem like a new home comfort technology, but these energy-saving solutions have been used worldwide for more than 30 years—and their popularity is growing. That’s because ductless mini splits offer homeowners a number of advantages, with energy efficiency at the top of the list. But if you’re not scheduling routine ductless mini split maintenance, your system’s performance—and your energy budget—will suffer.
Why Ductless Mini Split Maintenance Is Important
As with a traditional air conditioner or heat pump, ductless mini splits require routine maintenance to ensure optimal performance. A ductless AC should be checked in the spring, before the peak cooling season. Since ductless heat pumps cool and heat, they require a checkup in spring and fall.
When cared for properly, a ductless system can last 12 – 15 years. Ductless mini split maintenance can also boost system performance by as much as 10 – 15 percent compared to the performance of a neglected heat pump system.
What You Can Do
One thing you can do is monitor the condition of your air filters. Filters must be replaced—or cleaned, if applicable—every one to three months depending on usage and local conditions. For example, if you have pets or allergy sufferers in the home, filter changes may need to be more frequent. Check the manufacturer’s specifications for your ductless system for recommendations.
You can also keep the outdoor unit free of debris and overgrown vegetation. Ideally, the cabinet should have a clearance of four feet or more to ensure proper airflow. Without the free flow of air, the compressor can overheat and cause damage to the system. Debris buildup can also cause the coil to freeze, which prevents proper operation. These items would be checked during professional ductless mini split maintenance, but you can help out by trimming away growing plants and clearing away leaves and other debris.
Professional Ductless Mini Split Maintenance
Do-it-yourself maintenance is not enough to ensure optimal long-term performance. If you want to enjoy the savings and comfort of a ductless system, professional ductless mini split maintenance is imperative. Here’s what a professional will do to keep your system in top operating condition:
- Air filters will be checked and cleaned or replaced as necessary.
- Your indoor air handlers and coils will be inspected to ensure cleanliness and adequate airflow.
- Indoor and outdoor coils may be cleaned, if necessary, using specialized brushes and cleaning solutions.
- Drainage lines will be checked for clogs.
- Refrigerant lines will be checked for potential leaks, and refrigerant will be charged to manufacturer’s specifications, if necessary.
- Refrigerant line insulation will be inspected.
- Electrical terminals will be inspected and connections tightened where necessary. A nonconductive coating may also be applied.
- Motor parts may receive lubrication to prevent unwanted friction.
- Thermostats will be calibrated for accuracy.
- The outdoor unit will be checked to ensure it is firmly mounted on its base and that the fan and wheel blower assembly is properly balanced.
Contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited to schedule ductless mini split maintenance. Ask about our service agreements.