Take the Headache Out of Hiring an HVAC Contractor With These 8 Pointers
Hiring an HVAC contractor for your Virginia home can be a difficult endeavor. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be. All you need to do is follow these 8 pointers that we’ve compiled and you can’t go wrong:
1. Ask people you know — A quick and easy way to find a contractor is to ask your friends and family to find out who they’ve used in the past, and whether they would recommend the company.
2. Don’t be shy about references — Any good contractor isn’t going to have a problem with giving you a list of references. Be sure to contact each one and ask about their experience in regards to time completion, professionalism, quality of the work, etc.
3. Search for discounts — Many contractors will run specials at certain times of the year. You may even find a coupon on their website for specific services. It never hurts to ask if they’re offering any discounts at the time.
4. Expect an evaluation — One of the initial steps that a technician should take is to perform an evaluation of your home, including its ductwork, energy efficiency, air leaks, etc.
5. Ask about Energy Star — Contractors should suggest using high-efficiency equipment and should be able to calculate your savings when you use appliances with the Energy Star label.
6. Obtain written bids — When accepting bids for a project, compare such things as proposed timeframes, energy efficiency, warranties, etc. Cost will be a big factor, but keep in mind that a lower price may mean a decrease in efficiency.
7. Use a written proposal — This needs to be done before any work is started. Make sure that everything is covered, such as time completion, costs, brands and models to be installed, etc.
8. Pay it forward — If you’re happy with the work done by the contractor, spread the word by recommending the company to others.
If you need more professional advice when hiring an HVAC contractor, please don’t hesitate to contact the experts at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. We serve the heating and cooling needs of Fairfax, Alexandria, Springfield, Arlington, Centreville, Reston, Burke, Lorton, Ashburn and their surrounding areas.