Keep Energy Costs Under Control With These 6 Efficiency Tips
Did you know that cooling and heating account for about half of your energy bills? If you’re determined to get your energy costs under control, it makes sense to address your HVAC system first. Here are six efficiency tips that will go a long way toward lowering the energy costs in your Arlington-area home.
- Change the air filter: Check it monthly, especially in the summer and winter, when your HVAC system working hard. Hold the air filter up to to the light. Change the filter if you can’t see through it.
- Have your equipment tuned annually: Schedule yearly maintenance in the spring for your air conditioner and in the fall for your furnace. The same way tuning up your car results in better gas mileage, having your HVAC equipment serviced is a proven way to control energy costs in the coming season.
- Install a programmable thermostat: This is an especially effective energy-saving tool if no one is home during a large part of the day. When it’s summer, set the thermostat to go up a few degrees when you leave for the day. In the winter, set it to go down when you leave the house and when you go to bed at night. Program your thermostat to return to a comfortable temperature when everybody’s home. In the winter, program the thermostat to go up shortly before everyone rises.
- Seal your ductwork: Ducts are your HVAC system’s circulatory system. When they leak, efficiency plummets, and energy costs spike. Make sure your equipment is performing efficiently by hiring a contractor to seal any leaks, using foil tape or a duct sealant called mastic.
- Upgrade your equipment: If your furnace or air conditioner is getting old, evaluate its performance, and consider getting it fixed. If repair costs approach half the value of a new system, it’s time to choose an Energy Star-qualified replacement.
- Ensure proper installation: When it comes to energy efficiency, installation is just as important as the right equipment. Entrust a professional for the best results possible.
Implement these efficiency tips right away to control your energy costs. To learn more, contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. We serve residents of Springfield, Arlington, Centreville and the surrounding areas.