Is Your Home Outfitted With a Programmable Thermostat? Use It Correctly
Many homes today are outfitted with a programmable thermostat. If your home doesn’t currently have one, it takes only a small investment and can be well worth the money if used properly to maximize energy savings. Here are a few tips to take full advantage of your programmable thermostat.
Types of Programmable Thermostats
- If your schedule tends to be unpredictable, a 7-day model gives you the flexibility to set different programs for different days of the week.
- If your weeks tend to be more routine, there’s a 5+2 model that allows for one program throughout the week and another program for weekends.
- Lastly, the 5-1-1 model gives you the option to have a set program Monday through Friday and different programs for both Saturday and Sunday.
Once you decide which model works best for your needs, its important to follow a few best practice guidelines.
- Aim to program your thermostat and maintain the settings for periods of at least eight hours. This is best done while your away at work or while sleeping and will maximize your energy savings.
- Take advantage of your thermostat’s ability to set different schedules on different days. For most people, a Thursday will be different than a Sunday, so plan accordingly.
- While most models will have an override feature, use it sparingly. For instance, if you make it home early one day and want to cool the house, you can override your program for that time period. This override will generally end at the next scheduled program change. You want to avoid cranking the air down or heat up, thinking it will cool or warm your home faster. This isn’t true, as most thermostats are set to heat and cool at set times.
- Think about different areas of your home. You may have more windows downstairs than you do upstairs, or perhaps you have one large room that heats and cools differently than the bedrooms. Multiple thermostats throughout your home will give you the most energy savings.
For more information on how a programmable thermostat can help your northern Virginia home or to have one installed, please contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. We’re proud to handle the HVAC needs of homeowners throughout the area.