The Home Maintenance To-Do List for Alexandria Homeowners
It’s the end of summer, and you know what that means: it’s time to get your home ready for cooler weather. Complete the items on this fall home maintenance to-do list for your Alexandria home to avoid unpleasant surprises when the weather changes.
Home Maintenance To-Do List
- Schedule a tune-up for your heating equipment: This fall home maintenance task is very important. The technician performs essential inspections and services that ensure your heating equipment is ready for another winter.
- Seal and insulate: Caulk around leaky windows and doors, replace old weatherstripping in exterior door jambs, and add an extra layer of insulation in the attic.
- Ensure adequate airflow: Keep furniture and drapes away from air vents to ensure air flows from your heating and cooling equipment the way it is should. Also, vacuum dust from return and supply registers, kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, and baseboard heaters. Change the HVAC filter as well to keep conditioned air flowing.
- Inspect the basement or crawl space: Check for standing water and mold that could impact indoor air quality. Then, look for remnants of insect or animal visitors, such as chewed insulation, nests or droppings. Set traps or call an exterminator if necessary.
- Check the exterior: Assess the state of the siding, brickwork, stucco and trim, and decide if you need to re-secure, repair or replace any surfaces. Check that outdoor outlets are watertight as well. Then move up to the roof. Clean out gutters and downspouts, check for missing or loose shingles, and make sure the flashing and mortar around the chimney are in good condition.
- Fit in last-minute summer chores: While it’s still warm outside, repaint any walls that need attention and have the carpets cleaned. These tasks are best performed with the windows open, so don’t wait until it’s cold outside to do them.
- Test the generator: You hope you never need it, but make sure it’s working just in case the power goes out this winter.
With this fall home maintenance to-do list, you’re ready to prepare your home for winter weather. To learn more, please contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited Heating & Air Conditioning in Alexandria today.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com