Get a Jump on Fall Home Maintenance Now
Getting ahead of the cooler temperatures by performing fall home maintenance will help you manage heating costs and protect your home against winter weather. These projects will keep your home and family safer and more comfortable all winter.
Areas of Your Home that Require Seasonal Maintenance
- Check the roof. Any missing shingles or roof problems can cause water damage in the winter when the snow melts.
- Clean the gutters. Rain and snow can collect in full gutters and cause ice dams to form that can damage the fascia and siding.
- Seal the leaks. Look around the window frames and look for cracks that can form as caulk dries between the windows and the exterior. Seal with fresh caulk to stop air infiltration. During the day, check the fit between the exterior doors and the frames. If you see daylight, apply fresh weatherstripping. Stop air leakage at the base of the doors with draft blockers or door sweeps.
- Put a furnace inspection high on your fall home maintenance checklist. It’ll run more efficiently when it’s cleaned and adjusted by an HVAC professional. They’ll also check all the safety switches, along with the flue, chimney and ductwork. Problems with any of these can release carbon monoxide (CO) into your home.
- Inspect the attic for adequate insulation. The U.S. Department of Energy recommends from 16 to 20 inches for our climate. Insulation reduces the amount of heat that escapes into the attic and also prevents ice dams and water condensation that can damage the attic’s structure and contents. If you install it yourself, be sure not to block the fresh air vents. Ideally, the attic should be the same temperature as the outdoors to prevent moisture damage.
- Test the smoke and CO detectors and make a note to check the CO detectors monthly. They use more battery power than smoke detectors and are vital to your safety.
- Don’t neglect a chimney cleaning if you use a wood stove or fireplace.
If you’d like more information about fall home maintenance and your heating system, contact HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited Heating & Air Conditioning. We provide outstanding HVAC services for Fairfax homeowners.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com