Our Blog

Forced Air Furnace – Simple Technology With Staying Power

If you’re considering replacing your old furnace or you’re in the market for a new heating system for your Fairfax, VA home, chances are you’ve come across the term “forced air heating.” However, with so many types of heating systems available on the market today, it can be easy for homeowners to become a bit confused on the differences between heating systems. Here’s a simple introduction to the forced air furnace and its remarkable staying power.

Forced Air Heating

A forced air heating system is a simple heating system that utilizes metal ductwork to distribute heated air throughout your home. In this system, air is pulled through air ducts and into your blower, sometimes called an air handler, where it goes through the heating cycle. Once heated, the air is sent through another series of ducts to the various spaces of your home.

An important regulatory part of this system is the home thermostat. The temperature you set your thermostat at is what initiates the heating cycle, causing your furnace to ignite the controlled flame or heating coils that will heat your air.

Choosing your New Furnace

The biggest difference between types of forced air furnaces is the method used to heat the air. For example, you may have a forced air furnace that uses gas or one that operates on electricity. To help you choose the best model for your household, look at a unit’s annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating. This is a percentage rating that indicates how effective a furnace is at converting fuel into the heat necessary to warm your home. For example, a furnace with an AFUE of 90 turns 90 percent of its allotted fuel into heat, while the remaining 10 percent is lost via the chimney and elsewhere. Most high efficiency furnaces have AFUE ratings in the mid to high 90s.

For more information about finding the best forced air furnace for your home, or other HVAC products and solutions, contact the local experts at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited Heating & Air Conditioning.

HVAC Unlimited Inc.
Heater went out Friday, late afternoon. I placed an email with the company and called back Saturday morning to confirm the company had received email. I was able to get Jeremy to fix the problem before I had to leave the house for a previously scheduled engagement. Jeremy was very professional and explained the service he was working on.
Mili - Annandale, VA
Ask about our special financing for 3 years with approved credit!
Accreditations & Affiliations