Ductless Mini-Split Maintenance: What You Need to Know
To take advantage of all the benefits your ductless mini-split offers, you need to give your system regular attention. This isn’t an overwhelming job—it just needs to be consistent. You can do some the maintenance yourself, but you’ll probably want to entrust much of the job to your HVAC system professional.
A ductless mini-split is a sizable investment, so you’ll want to protect it!
If you’re used to doing work around the house, here are some things you can do to maintain your ductless mini-split. The primary thing to remember is that your unit needs free airflow across the indoor cooling coil and the outdoor condenser.
- Turn off each indoor air handling unit, as well as the circuit switch for the outside unit. This will prevent an electric shock.
- Your system will need about an hour before cleaning to cool and return to a standing temperature.
- Check the immediate area around the outside unit. There should be ample room for unrestricted airflow to the cabinet, with 4 feet of clearance or more.
- Remove the air filter for cleaning. Select models of ductless mini-splits offer superior indoor air quality components that may need to be cleaned with a soft, dry cloth.
- Clean the cooling coil with a soft cloth. The cooling coil dehumidifies and cools, which creates a lot of moisture. Look for any signs of mold and mildew around the coil and components. If you do spot mold, your HVAC technician will need to deep-clean the coil and chemically treat it to prevent further contamination.
- If you use your ductless system for heating, keep an eye out for ice and snow accumulation and promptly remove any that you see.
Remember, if you’re not used to doing this kind of work around your home, just call your trusted HVAC professionals, who can ensure that your system is kept in tip-top shape. For answers to your questions about comfort system maintenance, contact the experts at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. We provide homeowners in Northern Virginia with exceptional HVAC solutions for cooling, heating and indoor air quality needs.