Common A/C Problems and What to Do About Them
When you flip the “on” switch, you expect your air conditioner to respond accordingly. Even common A/C problems may seem like big problems.
The good news is, oftentimes the problems can be repaired with minimal time and effort. So if your air conditioner fails to turn on or is running abnormally, check for some of the more common A/C problems first:
- Dirt buildup and grime on the coils and filter can cause the compressor and fans to malfunction and even fail. Keeping your air conditioner clean through an annual maintenance check is one of the simplest yet most important steps you can take to ensure that your air conditioner runs smoothly and consistently.
- Electrical malfunctions can be traced to several possible causes. If your air conditioner does not turn “on,” check the fuses or circuit breaker. In very hot weather, the compressor may shut off; you can reset it by pushing the button in the access panel. Or the wire and terminals may be corroded—another good reason to schedule that regular maintenance check; a technician will check the electrical connections and contacts.
- Sensor problems can cause your air conditioner to run constantly or abnormally. When it’s properly positioned, the sensor should be close to the evaporator coil but should not brush up against it, either. You can attempt to fix this problem yourself by bending back the wire that holds the sensor gently into place.
- Coolant problems deserve a second look. Your air conditioner may simply need to be recharged, but often, a leak is what causes the coolant level to drop in the first place. Only a licensed technician should handle air conditioner refrigerant and safely repair any leaks in your air conditioner.
- Drainage problems can prevent your air conditioner from turning on or to run abnormally. You might be able to clear out a clogged condensate drain yourself. Otherwise, call your favorite air conditioner technician.
Try not to sweat these common A/C problems or anything else that may be ailing your air conditioner. Call the experts at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited and we’ll restore your system to peak working order in no time.