Carbon Monoxide Can Endanger Your Family — Install Detectors for Total Protection
Carbon monoxide (CO) is often called the silent killer. It’s a molecule usually found in gas form, which is made as a result of incomplete fuel burning. Not only is it a toxic gas, but it’s impossible to see, smell or taste. It won’t kill you at low levels, but it will still have significant effects on you that can progress to worse under continuous exposure.
The Effects of Carbon Monoxide
Low levels of carbon monoxide exposure can cause a variety of different symptoms depending on the person. The most common are:
- Feeling fatigued
The longer you are exposed to it, the worse you will feel. Eventually you may lose coordination, start vomiting and you can die. As you can see, carbon monoxide is nothing to take lightly.
There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from carbon monoxide. First and foremost have all major appliances installed by professionals. Heating and air conditioning systems especially should not only be installed by a professional, but also inspected by them as well at least once a year. The inspection should include any chimneys or fuel-burning stoves that you have as well.
A lot of the prevention measures of carbon monoxide involve common sense. Don’t operate any heavy machinery like a generator, lawn mower or car in an enclosed space. Also, do not make any alterations to any fuel-burning systems. You may unknowingly affect the combustion system and encourage carbon monoxide formation during future uses.
Finally, as a last resort you should install a CO detector on every floor if you have not already done so. Ideally you’ll never have to worry about carbon monoxide in your home, but if it does somehow build up, a CO detector is the only way to know.
For any other questions about carbon monoxide and your Virginia home, feel free to contact us at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited.