8 Tips for Finding the Best HVAC Contractor in your Area
If you haven’t already chosen a contractor for your Virginia home, there’s no time like the present. But you can’t simply pick a name out of the phone book and hope for the best. Instead, follow these tips for finding an HVAC contractor:
- Ask around – One of the best ways to find a good contractor is to ask people like family and friends who they use. This can be a quick way to find a qualified company with very little footwork.
- Obtain references – To get a good idea of a technician’s professionalism and work ethic, ask them for a list of references. Then contact each one and ask about the work they’ve completed in the past.
- Research license requirements – Your local government will be able to tell you about the license and insurance requirements of HVAC companies in the area. Once you have them, ask for the contractor’s credentials.
- Expect an evaluation – The first thing you should expect from your new contractor is an evaluation of your home, which will include inspecting your ductwork and its energy efficiency, as well as other areas, to get an overall idea of any problems.
- Check for discounts – Most contractors offer special rates on certain services. You can search their website or give them a call to find out.
- Insist on energy-efficient models – In order to save money on energy usage, you should only allow installation of products backed by Energy Star. An experienced technician will be aware of this and insist on these models as well.
- Receive multiple estimates – Obtaining estimates will help ensure that you get the most bang for your buck. Price is important, but also pay attention to warranty information, start and end dates and models to be installed.
- Detailed contract – The more detailed the contract, the less chance of something going wrong once work begins. Don’t leave anything to chance.
For more expert tips for finding an HVAC contractor, or for questions about home comfort, please contact the pros at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. We’ve been serving the HVAC needs of homeowners throughout Fairfax, Alexandria, Springfield, Arlington, Centreville, Reston, Burke, Lorton, Ashburn and the surrounding areas.