What to Do About a Noisy Furnace
Both gas and electric furnaces can encounter a nearly endless array of issues and complications over the years. But out of all of them, odd noises might be the worst of them all from the viewpoint of a homeowner. They’re scary, annoying, and very frequently lead to making a repair call you did not plan on making!
You never have to put up with a noisy furnace in your Northern Virginia home with HVAC Unlimited around. As a leader in home furnace services, we have the knowledge and experience to help you figure out what those noises mean and what you can do about them.
Need furnace repair or looking for a professional to help you figure out your furnace problems? Call 703-493-1200 or contact HVAC Unlimited online!
Why Is My Furnace Making Strange Noises?
Your course of action is going to depend on what noise you’re hearing. Very few furnace problems share a cause, so each and every noise can be traced to particular parts and systems in the furnace. This is actually the good news, since it makes it easy for a homeowner to identify the trouble area. All you need is a bit of information:
- Squealing noises – The belts on your furnace blower motor need to be replaced every so often. When they aren’t, they’ll start to wear down over time and begin producing a loud or persistent whining or squealing noise.
- Rattling – Rattling noises or the sound of metal vibrating will typically relate to something that’s just come a bit loose. You might be able to spot a screw coming loose in your ducts or on the blower compartment. Overall, this one’s an easy fix, unless you can’t find the source of the noise.
- Loud whistling – A whistling sound usually happens when air flow is restricted. The sound is made by your furnace attempting to draw air and move it where it can’t, which forces air through any gaps or holes. Start by replacing your air filter, but if that doesn’t fix the issue, you’re going to need a professional furnace repair.
- Grinding or metal on metal – Grinding sounds are pretty scary. These sounds frequently happen when components in the system are either broken or very loose, and the sound is made by the part colliding with the furnace’s internal compartments. This one qualifies as an emergency because it can lead to a breakdown and furnace replacement if left unchecked!
- Buzz or hum sounds – If you hear buzzing or humming you’ll want to try to carefully follow the sound to see if you can find the origin. We’d bet you’ll wind up at an electrical connection. It’s very important that you do not interact with faulty electrical connections! Just call in a furnace repair expert.
- Banging or loud pops from ducts – This sound often comes from your ducts, particularly when the system kicks on or off. This is just normal expansion and contraction causing the metal ducts to make noises as they move.
Furnace Repair in Northern VA
Stressed out and not sure where to turn? Call on HVAC Unlimited to help you with all of your furnace troubles! We’re leaders in top-class furnace repair and furnace replacement services and we’re glad to offer you all of the advantages we possibly can.
For service you can trust from a team that wants you to stay comfortable, contact us today or dial 703-493-1200 to speak to a furnace expert near you!