How to Spot an Air Conditioning Scam in Northern Virginia
As homeowners in Northern Virginia, we deal with plenty of unpleasantries. Home upkeep, disrepair, cleaning, bills; there’s no end! But one thing no one should ever have to deal with? Scammers! It’s an unpleasant topic, but the fact is there are folks out there who want to make an easy buck.
Air conditioning scams in Northern Virginia are a very real threat, and you need to do all you can to be equipped to handle them! Or not handle them, as the situation dictates. At HVAC Unlimited, we’re dedicated to providing you with superior service and solutions. And part of that dedication means bringing you important information.
Signs of a Scam: What to Look For and Avoid
The single good thing about a scam is how predictable it actually is. As long as you know what to look for:
- Unsolicited service. A lot of scammers play this game. Walk up to a door, knock, and start ranting about some imminent danger that they can save you from. This is a pressure tactic designed to get you to agree to something when you’re cornered, stressed, and not thinking clearly. Just shut the door!
- Unlicensed business. To perform HVAC repair, or really any contracted work at all, a business must be licensed and credited within the state they work. And any businessperson who is actually a businessperson will be more than happy to show this information to you. Before you sign on something or exchange funds, be sure your specialist is licensed!
- Cash-only transactions. It’s 2016, and there are many forms of acceptable payment these days. Cash-only is long gone, and if someone tells you that’s all they’ll accept, they probably want something easy to make off with. And be doubly wary of payment-up-front schemes!
- Rude folks, or just the opposite. It depends on who you’re dealing with, but many scammers follow one of two trends. They’re either rushed and grumpy, looking to make off before you get wise to the trick, or they’re way too friendly. If your supposed repairperson is laying it on too thick, you have a good cause to be suspicious.
- Lack of communication. In a proper transaction, every aspect of the project should be made abundantly clear. This means easy to understand paperwork, and a professional that is happy to answer your questions. If they’re being vague, they probably have a reason that you should be aware of!
Avoid Air Conditioner Scams in Northern Virginia By Hiring Trusted Contractors
Don’t leave your needs up to chance. When you need air conditioner repair, plumbing repair, or any other service, you can depend on the team at HVAC Unlimited! We’ve been providing superior and reliable service to Northern Virginia for years, and we’re always happy to help! Contact us today to learn more about our AC services, or to set your appointment today!