Should I Repair or Replace My Furnace?
Having furnace troubles is never a good time. Come winter, we deal with some seriously chilly weather, and you need reliable access to a high quality heating system to ensure your comfort! So when something goes wrong with your system, it’s understandable to immediately call in for some professional furnace repair. But before you do, are you sure replacement might not be the better bet?
At HVAC Unlimited, our certified heating system professionals are wholly dedicated to providing you superior service. But we don’t want to provide just any service. We want to provide the service that suits your needs best! Not sure if repair or replacement is the answer for you? We can help!
Furnace Repair vs. Furnace Replacement
The choice really boils down to two critical factors: your comfort and the cost involved. Is repair the more cost-effective option? Then go for it! However, having said that, some repairs might seem cheaper when in reality they’re going to cost you a lot more over time.
The best way to decide is to know what kind of problems you’re dealing with, and how to respond when they occur. Factors that impact repair or replacement include:
- The frequency of your issue. Is this the third time you’ve called in for professional furnace repair in the past year or two? If so, you are costing yourself far more by trying to stick with your faulty system. A single repair is often less costly than replacing, sure, but two or three repairs in, and you could have had a brand-new system with none of the flaws!
- The efficiency of your current system. If your current furnace is old, has a low SEER/AFUE rating, or is simply costing a boatload to operate effectively, replacing might be the better solution. New systems are getting stronger and more effective every single year, and it’s wise to weigh the potential savings of a new system versus your older, less efficient one. If you’re unsure on how to go about this, our experts are always glad to provide a helping hand!
- The cost involved in repairing. In many machines or appliances, a single part replacement can very nearly cost as much as the vehicle itself. You see this sometimes with, say, a transmission in a car. In a lot of situations if a transmission dies, you’re better off just getting a new, stronger, and more efficient vehicle. HVAC systems are kinda the same. There are a few major components in furnaces (compressors, for one) that are just kind of super-expensive to replace. It depends on your system, really. Keep an open communication with your chosen HVAC professionals for the best advice on this.
- The age of your furnace. Is your furnace ten, fifteen, or even twenty years old? If so, that issue you’re having might not be a one-off problem. It could very well be the start of a frustrating and exceptionally expensive trend. We often recommend considering replacing your furnace once it has hit around a decade or more of age. Or at the very least, making absolutely sure that you’re getting routine furnace maintenance.
Northern Virginia Furnace Repair & Replacement Services
Why choose us?
- We use technicians trained in the latest techniques. Major repairs can be costly, so you want to find someone you can trust.
- We will give you an honest appraisal and always try to find the least expensive method to fix your problem.
- We give priority to those whose air conditioners or heat pumps have failed and are without cool air.
- We are well connected with all local and regional HVAC distributors and can use this network to find parts quickly.
Deciding between a furnace repair or replacement can be a difficult decision, but it doesn’t have to be with HVAC Unlimited. Contact us today for heating services in Northern Virginia!