How to Tell You Need to Replace Your Air Conditioning System
As a cost-conscious homeowner, you always want to ensure you’re getting the top performance and lifespan you could reasonably expect from your air conditioning unit. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever, and your unit is no exception.
There comes a point when duct tape and positive thinking just won’t cut it. In fact, it’s likely your unit will lose efficiency long before it breaks down completely, and at this point it’s likely easier on both your wallet and your mind to consider a full replacement. But when, you may ask, has my air conditioner hit its limit? When is AC repair no longer viable, and replacement the winning move?
Thankfully, there are some telltale signs that are fairly simple to keep an eye (and ear) out for, and the specialists at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited are here today to clue you in!
Signs You Should Consider Air Conditioner Replacement
- Past its prime.Most units come with a ten to fifteen year recommended lifespan (Provided optimal conditions and annual maintenance). You may squeeze out a few extra months, but generally these projected lifespans are quite accurate. If you’re coming up on the deadline, air conditioner replacement is your best bet.
- Repairs become too frequent.If your unit needs repairs beyond filter changes and annual checkups, you may want to consider a fresh installation. This is often a clue that your unit has reached its last legs, or has taken more abuse than it can hold up against.
- Energy bills increase noticeably.It’s fairly normal to experience some ups and downs, but if you note a consistent ten to fifteen percent increase in your utility costs, you at the least need repair. More likely, you’ll need a replacement.
- Excess dust accumulating in your home.Busted or leaky ducts may be leading to your dusty woes, and can often lead to a complete unit meltdown.
- Increasing humidity issues.Part of your unit’s job is to remove moisture (relative humidity) from your living space. If you find it can’t perform this task routinely, old faithful might be on the wind-down.
The most important step in assessing any issue with your air conditioner is to contact a professional as soon as you notice an issue. It may be a simple repair job, or it may call for a full air conditioner replacement, but either way it’s always best to address a problem immediately. Don’t get caught with no air on these hot and humid summer months!
When You’re Thinking AC Replacement, Think HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited!
Our experts have years of experience in handling and diagnosing air conditioner problems. We have the skill, knowledge and tools to get the job done right, and we’re confident in our ability to bring our consumers exactly what they need. Contact our team today about a replacement for your air conditioner unit!