Fall Heating Maintenance Checklist
Fall is here, and temperatures are dropping fast! But before you flip the switch on your heating system to take the edge off that chill, be sure your system is ready to roll with this fall heating checklist. Now, you may ask, why bother? Our specialists heave a few reasons:
- Your system may be inoperable. Odds are, it’s been months since your furnace, heat pump or boiler has been active. In that time, something very well could have gone wrong. Finding out before winter sets in and you need a heating system to stay comfortable is best.
- Proper care boosts efficiency. Ensuring all systems are up to par has a major impact on the efficiency of your system, both in energy use, and how well it heats. To get the most out of your system this season, a check up is mandatory.
- Reduced stress. If you leave repairs and maintenance to the last minute, you’re going to feel the pressure. maybe not now, while we’re in a crisp 70s pattern, but a month from now, you may feel differently.
So, to avoid catastrophe and to ensure you get the most from your heating system, be sure to perform this check on your furnace!
Fall Heating Checklist
- Check external parts. Have a look around at all exposed parts, ductwork and electronics for damage. Any obvious dings, cracks, or ruptures should be properly diagnosed and handled immediately.
- Clean or replace filters. If your system uses filters, clean or replace them before kicking your machine on this fall. Filters are necessary for adequate airflow, and are responsible for keeping the air quality in your home up to snuff.
- Check all electrical connections. Plugs and connections should be checked and tightened if necessary to ensure your furnace runs smoothly, and to avoid potential system damage.
- Clean your machine. Furnace, heat pump, boiler, whatever it is, be sure you pop open the chambers (while the system is off!) and give it all a good scrub. Dust and debris can build up in your system and cause a heck of a lot of trouble! A sturdy wire brush and a shop-vac can do wonders here. Just don’t scratch anything important.
- Schedule a professional inspection/maintenance. There are a lot of things you can do to be sure your heating system is ready to take on the world, but honestly, there are a lot of complex bits and pieces. To be sure your system gets the attention it needs to perform at its best, be sure to have a professional come by and do a full check up. For best results, this should be done at least yearly.
Furnace Maintenance for Your Fairfax Home
Stay ahead of the weather with the help of HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited! Our professionals are equipped and ready to handle your every heating need. Contact us today to learn more about our fall maintenance services!