How to Avoid Plumbing Scams in Northern Virginia
It’s never pleasant to think that someone might be bending the truth, or outright lying. And it’s often even worse when it’s someone you’re supposed to be able to trust! But whether we like it or not, scams persist, and plumbing scams in particular seem to be ceaselessly prevalent. Some are bold, some are sneaky—but they all plan to gouge you. And we don’t plan on letting that happen!
At HVAC Unlimited there’s nothing more important to us than quality and trustworthy plumbing service. That’s why today we’re arming you with some easy to use knowledge that will help you smell a scam a mile away.
Common Plumbing Scams Used in the Northern Virginia Area
Plumbing scams, roofing scams, HVAC scams, and even landscaping scams all can start in these ways:
- The door to door. You hear a knock, answer the door, and suddenly there’s a gentleman telling you that your sewer line is “clearly” busted and needs immediate service. He can do it for you, and at a low rate! He can’t. He can’t do it for you, and he’s going to take your money and run. Certified professionals do not go door to door!
- Blind callers. Unsolicited phone calls claiming to be from a local contractor that has been directed by the city to do work on your home plumbing is another common one. Don’t be fooled! If the city ordered work, the city would pay for it.
- Short-term adds. Be very leery of newspaper ads offering plumbing work. You’ll usually find these in the classifieds, and many are tempted by the promised low rates and great deals on materials. These are very frequently problematic, and in many cases if you get any work at all, it will be ameteur.
Sad as it may be to say, there are even some actual contractors out there that are willing to gouge, cut corners, and charge a little more in labor than necessary. The best way to avoid this is to stay informed. Ask for a parts list and do some sleuthing at the hardware store to ensure you’re never getting a shady deal on parts.
To avoid huge spikes in the estimated cost of the work, always get it in writing. Never let a contractor “just get to work” without clear, easy to understand paperwork signed, sealed, and delivered. Otherwise you might get a rude awakening when they drop a price tag two, three times what you were told to expect.
How to Find a Trustworthy Plumber in Northern Virginia
So, how do you find the right team for the job? It’s actually pretty easy once you know what to check for! Professionals that do their work with integrity and honesty tend to have all of the following:
- Licensing and certification in the state of Virginia (specific state is important!)
- Uniforms, logos, and marked vehicles
- Clear, easy to understand pricing that is presented with full disclosure
- Positive customer reviews (don’t place all of your faith in paid ads)
- A friendly and approachable demeanor (This means they readily answer questions, and actually avoid giving you the runaround!)
Professional Plumbing Services with HVAC Unlimited
Whether you pick us, or pick other folks, always be sure to not fall for a scam! It’s a terrible thing to be cheated, and we don’t want to see any of our clients getting stuck with sub-par service or scummy plumbing.
Need certified plumbers in Northern Virginia? Contact our team online today, or give us a call at 703-493-1200!