AC Blowing Warm Air? Here’s the Solution
When you turn on your air conditioner and find that warm air is coming out of your registers instead of cold air, you might be confused to say the least. Before you worry that this is a sign of certain AC replacement, stop and check for the following reasons why your AC could be blowing out warm air. The causes could range from simple things that you can take care of yourself to a couple of repairs that you will need to call a professional to come and fix.
Think Simple First
Before calling a repair, check the following:
- Thermostat. Yes, it sounds silly, but often warm air coming from your vents happens because someone simply turned the heat on. Avoid embarrassment and a service call by ruling this out first.
- Air filter. When was the last time you checked your air filter? It should be changed at least once a month during times of high usage. A filter that is clogged with dust will reduce airflow to the coil. The coil can also become covered with dust and soot or freeze from lack of airflow.
- Tripped breaker. Take a look at your circuit breakers. Make sure the breaker for your condenser has not tripped. If it has, turn it back on and see if your system begins blowing cool air. If the breaker trips back off, it is time to call for a service. If the coils are very dirty, the condenser may be overheating and shutting itself off to prevent further damage or it may have gone bad. Either way, this is not a job for someone who is not a cooling professional and may require replacement of the condenser or your entire air conditioning system.
When it’s Time to Call the Professionals
If neither of the steps above have resolved the warm air problem, then one of the following reasons may be the culprit and will require a professional to fix.
- Refrigerant leak. Normally the only way your system can become low on refrigerant is if a leak has developed and allowed it to seep out. This leak could be pinhole sized and been there for quite some time. Your service technician will need to locate the leak, repair or replace parts if needed, and then recharge your system with refrigerant.
- Bad compressor. Sometimes compressors just give out. It could be due to age, neglect, or a power surge. This major repair requires a professional.
- Neglect. If you have not had your air conditioner serviced each year, you are neglecting your system. Many problems and major breakdowns can be prevented through regular maintenance. Each year when your system is serviced, you will be alerted to problems with your system that should be fixed before putting it into service for the season. This helps save you money not only on repairs, but also on your electric bill. A system that is running at its top performance will use less energy to operate.
If your AC is blowing out warm air, call the experts at HVAC & Plumbing Unlimited. Consider scheduling a maintenance service with us soon if you have not had your system serviced for the season. Located in Lorton, VA, we have been providing professional and reliable service to the surrounding area for years.